4 granny smiths apples, remove cores
1/3 cup glazed cherries
2 tbs. sultanas, roughly chopped
2 tbs. pistachio kernels, roughly chopped
1 cinnamon stick
4 cups cold water
1 cup caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 sheets puff pastry (bought)
Bought vanilla custard to serve
Stir the water & sugar in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
Bring to a simmer. Add the cinnamon stick & apples. Cover & simmer for 10-15 minutes or until
apples are just tender. Cool slightly.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Combine glazed cherries, pistachio kernels and sultanas in a bowl. Divide among the apple centres.
Cut sheets of purchased puff pastry into strips. If pastry is frozen, thaw slightly before cutting.
Allow 4 strips for each apple. Place 1 strip around each apple, tucking in the ends. Place
another strip across the the first strip and tuck underneath. Cross remaining 2 strips of pastry over the apple
at even intervals. Cut leaves from pastry and place on each apple. Brush the pastry on apples with beaten egg. Bake on greased baking sheets in
the preheated oven 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Serve with vanilla custard.
500g minced beef
½ red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled, chopped
1 birds eye red chilli, seeds removed, chopped (optional)
30g sachet taco spice mix
1/3 cup coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbs. rice bran oil
8 iceberg lettuce leaves
1. Heat oil in a large frypan on medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic and chilli for 1-2 minutes until aromatic. Add the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince. Add the spice mix and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander leaves. Spoon the mixture evenly among lettuce cups. Serve with lime wedges and Greek yoghurt.
*To make the Greek yoghurt, sprinkle with a large pinch of cayenne pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
300g fusilli dried pasta
200g green beans (uncooked), cut into 3cm. lengths
½ red onion, diced
400g tuna chunks (in spring water)
400g chick peas, rinsed, drained
400g 4 bean mix, rinsed, drained
1/3 cup red quinoa, cooked
4 tbs. balsamic vinegar
4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain and place in a large bowl.
2. Add all the ingredients and toss to combine. Season with sea salt to taste.
· To cook quinoa: Rinse and drain. Soak 1 cup of quinoa in 1 ¼ cups of water for 15 minutes, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let it stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let it cool.
500g continental muesli or a mix of your choice
200g packet of mixed seeds and sultanas or a mix of your choice
1/3 cup Manuka honey
3 tbs. rice bran oil
Chia seeds and fresh fruit to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Spray with a little oil to lightly grease.
2. Combine muesli and mixed seeds in a large bowl. Pour honey and oil and mix well. Spread mixture evenly on the tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and toasted. Set aside to cool completely.
To serve: sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of chia seeds, skim milk and fresh strawberries or favourite fruit.
Thank-you for visiting my new website.
COMING SOON… my step-by-step guide for creating wonderful photos from your own home… so be sure to stay tuned!